The Ministry has been assigned the following responsibilities:
1. Automation of Government Activities
2. Re-engineering of Government Business Process
3. Provision and maintenance of Information Technology facilities
4. Automation of Hospital Administration
5. Development of Computer Education and Computer Laboratories for State Secondary Schools
6. Development of Science and Technology in the State Secondary Schools in Conjunction with the Ministry of Education
7. Development of Science-Related Capacity Building with the Ministry of Education
8. Science-Related Human Resources Development
9. Computer-Related Human Resources Development
10. Provision of Consultancy Services for all Ministries and Parastatals
11. Provision of Advisory Services on Information and Communication Technology
12. Development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) at the Public Service Staff
13. Development Centre (PSSDC), Magodo and integration of the Institution to the Alausa Campus Network
14. Registration of Lagos State Residents Registration Agency and production of staff identification cards.
15. Special Projects/Assignments by the Governor. For example, establishment of the Forensic Laboratory.
The Objectives of the Ministry of Science and Technology are:
1. To properly manage the State’s Global Computerisation Projects.
2. To utilise modern technology for the effective management of Government business particurlarly in the areas of operational activities, revenue generation and electronic information dissemination.
3. To utilise Science and Technology to improve the lot of citizens of the State.
Ministerial responsibilities include:
- Initiate, formulate, execute, monitor and evaluate policies relating to Science & Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- Automation and reengineering of government business processes & harmonisation of all existing ICT assets into a world class infrastructure.
- Provision and maintenance of ICT services across Ministries, Departments &Agencies (MDAs).
- Development of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) education as well as setting up ICT centres for state schools.
- STEM & ICT capacity building across all MDAs.
- Enlarging the pool of scientific manpower, attracting young people to careers in science and retaining same.
- Establishing globally competitive research facilities for the promotion of innovation, research & development in Science & ICT.
- Provision of advisory & consultancy services for all MDAs on Science & ICT.
- Developing new models of Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) in higher education, particularly for research in universities and technologically-industrialized areas.
- Identifying ways and means of catalysing industry-academia collaborations.
- Promoting strong linkages with more advanced countries, including participation in international science & innovation initiatives.
- Special projects as assigned by the Governor.
The Ministry comprises of the following:
- Information Communication Technology
- Information Communication Technology Training
- Finance and Administration
- Policy, Programmes and Promotion
- Computer Services
- Press and Public Relations
- The Internal Audit.
- Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA)
Major Landmark Projects/Achievements
- Registration of Citizens of Lagos State for planning & resource allocation under the Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) – Pilot commenced in 2011
- Establishment of the Lagos State Command & Control Centre which provides toll free dedicated lines of communication (767 or 112) for Lagosians to contact relevant security and emergency agencies of the State to enhance quick responses in times of emergency – Commenced operations in 2010 but was officially commissioned in 2012
- Implementation of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – Organizations world over use GIS technology to manage location- relevant information. The intuitive power of maps, combined with the analytical power of a GIS, often reveal trends, patterns and opportunities that may not be detected in tabular data alone and can help provide a competitive edge.
- Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) – captures paper-based documents and converts them to digital format for easy & secure storage and retrieval. EDMS will also interface with the enterprise applications to ensure continued integrity and security of Government records.
- Implementation of Health Management Information System (HMIS) – The HMIS involves the computerization of Lagos State General Hospitals in order to automate the management of patient records and share resources.
- Automation of the Land Administration Process – The automation provides a platform for centralized administration of land information where important scheme information like plot allocation, payment history, allotee’s information, total number of plots on a scheme, number of plots allocated, number of unallocated plots and payment transaction on the scheme is available
- Establishment of the e-Learning Centre – The e-Learning Centre is designed to improve the quality of education in our institutions of learning and improve access to information for various research activities which are the foundation for development
- Establishment of Ikeja Digital Village – Ikeja Digital Village is designed to assist the computer literacy of the citizens of our state. It was conceptualized as a platform for all to gain IT experience and as a test centre. It is also utilized for our Youth Empowerment programmes